What is Data?
Data is a raw and unorganized fact that required to be processed to make it meaningful. Data can be simple at the same time unorganized unless it is organized. Generally, data comprises facts, observations, perceptions numbers, characters, symbols, image, etc.
Data is always interpreted, by a human or machine, to derive meaning. So, data is meaningless. Data contains numbers, statements, and characters in a raw form.
What is Information?
Information is a set of data which is processed in a meaningful way according to the given requirement. Information is processed, structured, or presented in a given context to make it meaningful and useful.
It is processed data which includes data that possess context, relevance, and purpose. It also involves manipulation of raw data.
Information assigns meaning and improves the reliability of the data. It helps to ensure undesirability and reduces uncertainty. So, when the data is transformed into information, it never has any useless details.
- Data is a raw and unorganized fact that is required to be processed to make it meaningful whereas Information is a set of data that is processed in a meaningful way according to the given requirement.
- Data does not have any specific purpose whereas Information carries a meaning that has been assigned by interpreting data.
- Data alone has no significance while Information is significant by itself.
- Data never depends on Information while Information is dependent on Data.
- Data measured in bits and bytes, on the other hand, Information is measured in meaningful units like time, quantity, etc.
- Data can be structured, tabular data, graph, data tree whereas Information is language, ideas, and thoughts based on the given data.
Data Vs. InformationParametersDataInformationDescriptionQualitative Or QuantitativeVariables which helps to develop ideas or conclusions.It is a group of data which carries news and meaning.EtymologyData comes from a Latin word, datum, which means To give something. Over a time data has become the plural of datum.Information word has old French and middle English origins. It has referred to the act of informing.. It is mostly used for education or other known communication.FormatData is in the form of numbers, letters, or a set of characters.Ideas and inferencesRepresented inIt can be structured, tabular data, graph, data tree, etc.Language, ideas, andthoughts based on the given data.MeaningData does not have any specific purpose.It carries meaning that has been assigned by interpreting data.InterrelationInformation that is collectedInformation that is processed.FeatureData is a single unit and is raw. It alone doesnt have any meaning.Information is the product and group of data which jointly carry a logical meaning.DependenceIt never depends on InformationIt depended on Data.Measuring unitMeasured in bits and bytes.Measured in meaningful units like time, quantity, etc.Support for Decision makingIt cant be used for decision makingIt is widely used for decision making.ContainsUnprocessed raw factorsProcessed in a meaningful wayKnowledge levelIt is low-level knowledge.It is the second level of knowledge.CharacteristicData is the property of an organization and is not available for sale to the public.Information is available for sale to the public.DependencyData depends upon the sources for collecting data.Information depends upon data.ExampleTicket sales on a band on tour.Sales report by region and venue. It gives information which venue is profitable for that business.SignificanceData alone has no signifiance.Information is significant by itself.MeaningData is based on records and observations and, which are stored in computers or remembered by a person.Information is considered more reliable than data. It helps the researcher to conduct a proper analysis.UsefulnessThe data collected by the researcher, may or may not be useful.Information is useful and valuable as it is readily available to the researcher for use.DependencyData is never designed to the specific need of the user.Information is always specific to the requirements and expectations because all the irrelevant facts and figures are removed, during the transformation process.
DIKW (Data Information Knowledge Wisdom)
DIKW is the model used for discussion of data, information, knowledge, wisdom and their interrelationships. It represents structural or functional relationships between data, information, knowledge, and wisdom.
You Might Like:
- 25 Best BI Tools | Top Business Intelligence Software [2022 List]
- Data Modelling: Conceptual, Logical, Physical Data Model Types
- What is OLAP? Cube, Analytical Operations in Data Warehouse
- Data Mining Tutorial: What is Data Mining? Techniques, Process
- Difference between Data Mining and Data Warehouse