One of the most common questions youll be asked in an interview is Why did you leave your last job? or maybe Why are you looking to leave your current job? It can be a tricky question to answer. You dont want to bad-mouth your current or past employer, as that doesnt always sit well with the hiring manager. If youre so quick to speak poorly of your past employer, the interviewer may draw the conclusion you might be the problem and will want to get the other side of the story.
Unless there is an easy answer, such as it was a temporary position or maybe youre looking to make a career change, it could be a complicated question to answer truthfully without the interviewer drawing the wrong assumption.
Here are some examples of good answers to this tough interview question:
- Ive worked at the organization for a long time (number of years) and wanted to experience a different environment to help me to grow.
- Im looking for an opportunity to advance my career.
- A former colleague or boss recruited me to join their company.
- I was offered a considerable pay increase.
- My company hired a new manager, and I felt it was a good time to find a new opportunity.
- My role changed over time, and I was no longer doing what I was interested in.
- I reassessed my career goals and decided my current role no longer fit those goals.
- I didnt feel I had any more opportunity to grow or further my career in the role, so I decided to look for a change.
- Im looking to take on new responsibilities that my current role does not offer.
- My current role isnt using all of my skills, and I would like to find something more challenging.
- I took (or am looking for) a position closer to home.
- The job no longer felt fulling.
- I went back to school to continue my education.
- My position was eliminated, and I was laid off.
- I left my last job for family reasons and Im now able to return to work.
Make sure to be prepared to explain in a little more detail if your answer prompts it. For example, if youre looking for a job that uses more of your skills be prepared to explain what skills youre hoping to utilize. Also, keep in mind you dont need to explain everything. If you left your last job to handle a family issue, you dont need to go into detail and the interviewer should not expect a detailed answer.
Looking for more common interview questions, click here.
Follow us onFacebookandTwitterto get morecareer advice.