How to remove duplicates but keep rest of the row values in Excel?
In Excel, it will remove all duplicate values and move up when you apply the Remove Duplicates function as screenshot 1 shown. However, in some cases, you may want to remove duplicates but keep the rest of the row values as screenshot 2 shown. Now, in this case, I will introduce some tricks on deleting duplicates but keeping the rest in Excel.
Remove duplicates but keep rest of row values with Filter (3 steps)
Remove duplicates but keep rest of row values with VBA (4 steps)
Remove duplicates but keep rest of row values with Kutools for Excel (2 steps)
Remove duplicates but keep rest of row values with Filter
With a formula and the Filter function, you can quickly remove duplicates but keep rest.
1. Select a blank cell next to the data range, D2 for instance, type formula =A3=A2, drag auto fill handle down to the cells you need. See screenshot:
2. Select all data range including the formula cell, and click Data > Filter to enable Filter function. See screenshot:
3. Click at the Filter icon in Column D (the formula column), and check TURE from the drop down list, see screenshot:
4. Click OK, and then all duplicates have been list, and select all of the duplicate values, press Delete key to remove them. See screenshot:
5. Click Data > Filter to disable Filter, and remove the formulas as you need. You can see all duplicates have been removed and the rest of values are kept in the row.
Remove duplicates but keep rest of row values with VBA
In Excel, there is a VBA code that also can remove duplicates but keep rest of row values.
1. Press Alt + F11 keys to display Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste below code to the Module.
VBA: Remove duplicates but keep rest of row valuesSub RemoveDuplicates() 'UpdatebyExtendoffice20160918 Dim xRow As Long Dim xCol As Long Dim xrg As Range Dim xl As Long On Error Resume Next Set xrg = Application.InputBox("Select a range:", "Kutools for Excel", _ ActiveWindow.RangeSelection.AddressLocal, , , , , 8) xRow = xrg.Rows.Count + xrg.Row - 1 xCol = xrg.Column 'MsgBox xRow & ":" & xCol Application.ScreenUpdating = False For xl = xRow To 2 Step -1 If Cells(xl, xCol) = Cells(xl - 1, xCol) Then Cells(xl, xCol) = "" End If Next xl Application.ScreenUpdating = True End Sub
3. Press F5 key to run the code, a dialog pops out to remind you to select a range to remove duplicate values from. See screenshot:
4. Click OK, now the duplicate values have been removed from selection and leave blank cells.
Remove duplicates but keep rest of row values with Kutools for Excel
If you have Kutools for Excel a handy and powerful add in tool installed, you can quickly remove duplicates but keep rest or row values through two wayss.Kutools for Excel, with more than 300 handy functions, makes your jobs more easier.Free Download
free full-featured in 30 days
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:(Free Download Kutools for Excel Now!)
Method 1 Merge Same Cells (2 steps)
1. Select the duplicate values, click Kutools > Merge & Split > Merge Same Cells. See screenshot:
2. Then the duplicate values have been merged into one cell. And click Home > Merge & Center > Unmerge Cells to split them. See screenshot:
Now the result has been shown as this:
Method 2 Select Duplicate & Unique Cells (4 steps)
1. Select the list of data you want to remove duplicates from, and click Kutools > Select > Select Duplicate & Unique Cells. See screenshot:
2. In the Select Duplicate & Unique Cells dialog, check Duplicates (Except 1st one) option in the Rule section. See screenshot:
3. Click Ok, a dialog pops out to remind you how many duplicates have been selected, click OK to close it. See screenshot:
4. Then press Delete key to remove the selected duplicate values.
Remove Duplicates But Keep Rest of Row
Tip: with Kutools for Excels Advanced Combine Rows utility, you can combine the duplicate values and then do some calculations on another column as below screenshot shown. Its full function without limitation in 30 days,please download and have a free trial now.
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by 80%
- Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, chartsand anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns without losing Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows/Columns... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- More than 300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel 2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features 30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
Read More... Free Download... Purchase...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!
Read More... Free Download... Purchase...Oldest FirstSort comments byOldest FirstNewest FirstComments (14)No ratings yet. Be the first to rate!
Alvin Sadikinabout 5 years ago#21726This comment was minimized by the moderator on the siteThank you for this tutorial, it saves me from tons of work removing duplicates.ReplyReport00
Aabout 4 years ago#25122This comment was minimized by the moderator on the siteIn the first method, instead of =A3=A2, you can do =A2=A1 to keep the first instance and delete the rest of the duplicates.Reply00
Allison Aabout 1 year ago#25123This comment was minimized by the moderator on the siteThank you for this comment! Exactly what I was looking for!Reply00
manojsakthi2790 Aabout 1 year ago#25124This comment was minimized by the moderator on the siteyes it worksReplyReport00
MOabout 3 years ago#27300This comment was minimized by the moderator on the siteIs it possible to merge the like cells without the Kutools add-in?Reply00
Sunny MOabout 3 years ago#27301This comment was minimized by the moderator on the siteHeloo, MO, this article may help you. https://www.extendoffice.com/documents/excel/4864-excel-combine-rows-with-same-id-name.htmlReplyReport00
Zaher Sarieddineabout 3 years ago#28839This comment was minimized by the moderator on the siteThe True/False solution is a smart trick. ThanksReply00
Cabout 3 years ago#28869This comment was minimized by the moderator on the sitethe true false really helped!Reply00
meabout 2 years ago#33786This comment was minimized by the moderator on the sitei would use the formula =A3<>A2 (not equal to ) so that it show up on top vs. last one on bottom.Reply00
Manoj meabout 1 year ago#33787This comment was minimized by the moderator on the sitei tried the formula =A1=A2, it also get the same result of show up on topReply00
manojsakthi2790 meabout 1 year ago#33788This comment was minimized by the moderator on the sitei tried the formula =A2=A1, it also got the result of show up on top.ReplyReport00
Dabout 1 year ago#35716This comment was minimized by the moderator on the siteThank you so much! This was very helpful!!Reply00
Hussainabout 9 months ago#37207This comment was minimized by the moderator on the siteIt help me after long search thank broReply00
SANTHOSHabout 3 months ago#39503This comment was minimized by the moderator on the siteiNFORMATION IS VERY USEFUL.SAVED A LOT OF TIME
THANKS.Reply00There are no comments posted here yetLeave your comments
Posting as GuestLogin Username PasswordLogin to my account Name (Required) Email (Required)×Rate this post:Reset0 CharactersSuggested Locations I agree to the terms and conditionCancel Submit Comment