Can I open a trading account without opening a Demat account?
No, unfortunately, you cannot open a Trading account without opening a DEMAT account for the following reasons -
- Equity intraday(trade within a day) - As open intraday positions can go into delivery if the position is not closed before the end of the day. A Demat account is needed to settle the shares.
- F&O contracts( Futures and Options/ Contractual) - All Stock F&O contracts starting from October 2019 are being settled physically. In case of taking delivery positions or giving delivery positions, a Demat account is needed for settling the stocks or debiting the stocks. You can read more about the physical settlement of stock F&O contracts here.
- Can a demat account maintained with other brokers be mapped to a Zerodha trading account?
- How do I open a demat account if I already have a trading or commodity account?
- Can I open more than one demat account with Zerodha?
- What are the different ways to transfer shares from a Zerodha demat account to another demat account?
- Can a NRI do intraday trades or commodity trading?
Still need help?
Create a ticket×
We see that you have the following ticket(s) open:
If you have the same query, check and update the existing ticket here. In case of a new query, click on Continue.